point8 Progressive Web Application (PWA)
To contact Loc8 Code at any time email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel +353 21 4832990
- Availability & use of this app, & support of Loc8 Code, Eircode & other locations formats within it, MAY NOT be used to deny members of the public access to commercial or emergency services if they are unable to provide any of these location formats.
- If you wish someone to generate a Loc8 Code to help deliver a service, then pass them the link to this app www.loc8.ie/point8 & help them generate a Loc8 Code with it.
- Support of Eircodes in this app is subject to any code being in the Google Maps Eircode database & corrected if corrections have been issued by Eircode themselves. If your Eircode is not supported or has some error associated with it, then you should make contact with Eircode themselves who have agreed terms for updates with Google Maps. They may be contacted at email: email@example.com
- Please feel free to also advise us of any missing Eircodes. We will not be able arrange that Eircode & Google Maps agree an update for you but we may be able to suggest a work-around. The 1st work-around will always be to use a Loc8 Code instead. You can make contact with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We can accept no responsibility for the accuracy of any Loc8 Code generated or used in this app. We advise that when generating a Loc8 Code, you should always do so at a point a few metres inside the access from the nearest mapped road to avoid the possibility of mis-routing. Before Navigation, check routing and adjust if necessary as advised below.
- Loc8 Codes & Eircodes used in this app MAY NOT be stored against personal details.
Web Page URL
- This point8 Web application is simply a web page which will run on any platform.
- To share it with others, simply copy and paste or type this web page link (URL) into emails or social media www.loc8.ie/point8 There is no downloading required.
To Run the Web-App
- To run the app on a mobile platform paste the above link into the default browser on your device e.g. on a Samsung phone click the "Internet" shortcut on your home screen and type or paste the link as a URL at the top
- If you have followed a link sent by someone to you and the application says that it does not have permissions to access location services, then you are not running the application from the default browser on your device. On a Samsung phone, when this is the case there will be 3 vertical dots top right on your screen - tap the dots and select "Open in Samsung or Chrome Internet" - whichever you have selected as your default.
Using Your GPS
- You will need to switch on your device's GPS/GNSS manually if not already on to use all elements of this app
- When the the application web page refreshes, it will use your device's GPS/GNSS to generate a position. Please ensure you move to a position to allow your device see as much sky directly as possible to generate a position. Inside some modern buildings, the satellite signal can be blocked, so you may need to move outside to allow position calculation.
- When you tap the "Loc8" menu option, the app will use your GPS/GNSS to generate a position for where you are located and display it to you in both Loc8 Code & Lat_Long formats so that one or both can be communicated to the emergency services if required. The National Ambulance Service in Ireland has fully integrated Loc8 Code into its emergency call answering, mapping and ambulance navigation systems alongside Eircode since 2017. They will accept a Loc8 Code for any location.
- When a Loc8 Code has been generated, you can zoom in and view the location on the map. It would be important to ensure that the calculated position is at the correct location, on the right side of a motorway/canal/river/railway/wall/boundary or pointing to the right access point if access is complicated. You can drag the pointer to adjust for this before you communicate to the Emergency Services.
- If you are using the app on a PC, then accurate position may not be possible, so Loc8 Code generation in this way for the Emergency Services is not supported. You can, however, tap the map at your known location & generate a Loc8 Code for the Emergency Services in that way.
Convert to Loc8 Codes
- The point8 PWA will convert Eircodes, Addresses, Lat_Longs & ITM (Irish Transverse Mercator) Coordinates to Loc8 Codes by selecting which you wish to enter from the drop-down box at top left of the screen, enter the characters and then click the search icon. A Loc8 Code with label will then be located & displayed on the map.
- To convert Eircodes to Loc8 Codes, we use the Google Maps API and Eircode database. The Google Eircode database has not been regularly updated for new or corrected Eircodes to date, so if the Eircode you have entered is not supported this is the reason for it. Please feel free to let us know if a specific Eircode is not supported.
- Also tap any location on the map of Ireland (North & South) and it will generate & display a Loc8 Code for that location. Be sure to zoom in fully and select your desired location carefully.
Convert From Loc8 Codes
- Enter a Loc8 Code and it can be converted to a Lat_Long or ITM Coordinates by changing the drop down box at the top left of your screen to the desired option
- The App will NOT generate Eircodes from Loc8 Codes as there is not an Eircode for every location across the island whilst there are Loc8 Codes for everywhere.
- Tap the Map with either Lat_Long or ITM coordinates selected from the drop down box at the top left of your screen & have the equivalent coordinates will be displayed for the Loc8 Code generated on the map
- enter Eircode D08 XY00, it is converted to Loc8 Code NP6-73-J43 & displayed on the map. Tap the route menu option & note that as Eircode has no relationship with access (explanation here) you are routed to the wrong street at the back of the building. Tap the map or drag the marker to create a Loc8 Code for the location of the access at the front - NP6-80-J43 - then select the route menu option again & the route to the correct street & access will be generated.
- You can, therefore, use the route function to check that you will be routed to the correct access point;- if not, either drag the marker to the entrance point or tap on the correct access point & then tap on the route menu option again to generate the new route. You would normally select a point a few meters inside the access from the nearest mapped road to route to.
- Once you are happy with the generated route to the correct access point, then select the Navigate menu option to share the route with Google Maps or other apps on your device that will accept it for navigation.
- If you are using the app on a PC or otherwise have no GPS/GNSS generated position then there is no need to create a route, just click a point on the map or drag it if required to the correct location, select the "Map" option and the destination point will be shared with whatever apps you have installed that will take a destination point for navigation.
Making Google Maps Not the Default
- If when you select the navigate or map menu options on an android phone, Google Maps automatically opens, then Google Maps has been set as your default Navigation app. To undo this, you need to go to settings and apps, then find "Maps" and make Google Maps not the default.
- Also when using a Samsung internet browser, you need to go to the browser options (3 horizontal lines over each other bottom right hand corner of your screen) then to Settings/Useful Features and ensure "Open links in other apps" is switched on.
- When this has been achieved, when "Navigation" or "Map" menu options are selected then all the app options that you have installed that will handle the location or route information should be displayed for selection. If this does not happen the 1st time after adjusting the settings as above, then close the point8 web page, restart your phone, check the settings and try again.
- The settings above will vary with different android phones but it will be possible to undo Google Maps as the default Map/Navigation app if you wish to do so.
- Loc8 Code offers no guarantee as to the fact that this point8 (PWA) will run on your device. It is offered at no cost as is.
- If you require some specific Loc8 Code functionality on specific devices, then Loc8 Code would be happy to develop this for you or to provide you with the Loc8 Code ".dll" code to allow your developers do the same. If you require either of these, please contact us here
- To contact Loc8 Code at any time email: email@example.com or Tel +353 21 4832990